Tea cakes have been a favorite treat in the South for generations. They’re sweet, moist, and full of flavor – the perfect accompaniment for a hot cup of tea or coffee. Whether you’re a Southern native or just visiting, there’s nothing like a homemade tea cake to make you feel right at home. Here’s a classic recipe to get you started on making your own Southern-style tea cakes.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup sour cream
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease and flour an 8-inch round baking pan and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Gently fold in the sour cream.
5. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
6. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Each tea cake contains approximately 250 calories, 11g of fat, 34g of carbohydrates, and 4g of protein. As with all desserts, tea cakes should be enjoyed in moderation.
Tea cakes are best enjoyed fresh out of the oven, but they can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Serve with your favorite hot beverage – tea, coffee, or even hot chocolate – and a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream for a truly indulgent treat.
This recipe can easily be adapted to your own tastes. Try adding a handful of chopped nuts, dried fruit, chocolate chips, or even a tablespoon of fresh lemon or orange zest for a flavor twist. The possibilities are endless!
Tea cakes are a classic Southern treat that are sure to please. With a few simple ingredients and a little bit of time, you can whip up a batch of these delicious treats and share them with friends and family. Serve them with coffee or tea for a delightful snack or dessert. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply